Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Linkorama

Some assorted bits and bobs for your delectation:

1. Action movie cliches - you know've seen, well, yikes, all of them at some point or other. I wonder if anyone can put them all into one single film.

2. John Sadler, in a piece in today's Grauniad lamenting the generally banal state of footballing punditry, has some gems of Ronglish from an earlier age, thanks to managers such as Ivor Powell and Ron Saunders. Favourite here is Powell's:

"Without doubt, one of the secrets of our successful season was the harmonium in the dressing room."


3. The O2 Cocoon is generating soft and post-launch awareness through a targeted blog campaign; that is to say, the phone has been sent to some influential bloggers, including Amelia Torode and PSFK, who are then encouraged to write at the O2 Cocoon blog.

My interest? I wrote the Cocoon's user and quick start guides. Haven't been sent a phone yet though...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Amelia said...

Hi Rish - you wrote the user and quick start guide, interesting!

Please to meet you, so to speak

Do you work for O2?

How do you like the phone?

3:51 pm  
Blogger BetaRish said...

Hi Amelia; likewise, good to touch base.

I'm a copywriter for archibald ingall stretton..., so that's where I came across it.

I like the Cocoon (or at least the early working prototype I played with): for what it does, and who it's aimed at, I think it does it very well.

And hopefully, some of our recommendations about subtly altering the language the phone uses to 'talk' to users will help the bonding process that all devices go through with their owners.

4:02 pm  
Blogger Amelia said...

Hi there - you should go to the Cocoon blog and leave your thoughts. Your take on how you developed the language will be really interesting to the bloggers who have got this.
Would you mind if I added your site to our Blogroll?

8:51 am  
Blogger BetaRish said...

Hi Amelia

Please do feel free to add Beta to the blogroll.

As for leaving my thoughts directly on the Cocoon blog, I suspect there's a clause in my contract that will prevent that.

What I'll do is instead post a short piece on Beta on how tone of voice needs to be considered in product development too, with the Cocoon a great example of that...

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home