Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Friday, May 26, 2006

For Skipping Stones

You'll know that I discovered Heather at Skipping Stones this week, and I've been captivated by her prose and various ruminations. Well, when re-arranging some pictures this week, I discovered a postcard of a still from 'In The Mood For Love', on the back of which I'd copied out a chunk of Carol Rumens', 'Once, after Pushkin'.

Heather, the following fragment is for you.


I loved you once. D'you hear a small 'I love you'
Each time we're forced to meet? Don't groan, don't hide!
A damaged tree can live without a bud:
No one need break the brances and uncover
The green that should have danced, dying inside.
I loved you, knowing I'd never be your lover.
And now? I wish you summers of leaf-shine
And leaf-shade, and a face in dreams above you,
As tender and as innocent as mine.

3 Comments:

Blogger SandDollarDoves said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 am  
Blogger SandDollarDoves said...

Rish, my spelling on the last comment was horrible. Hence, deleted comment. =)

I just want to say, what you posted for me is beautiful. You are so thoughtful, yet a stranger to me, but somehow knew how to give comfort to the thoughts that dance through my mind these days. You have no idea how much this is appreciated. It certaintly put a smile on my face and a flutter in my heart. Thank you.

~Heather

1:34 am  
Blogger BetaRish said...

Heather, you're very welcome. I remember when going through something similar, clinging to the found fragments of pop music, gulping at the essential truth contained in a throwaway chorus.

And it's those universal experiences and emotions that we share that mean we become slightly less strange to each other.

Here's to many more smiles, and many more flutters.

R

5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home