Commercial: Rory Sutherland on Influence
The big man was on top form at Conway Hall yesterday. Particular gobbets that leapt out for me were:
- There should be a place for stupidity in rational discourses about policy, economics etc.
- How come the irrational people don't get to police the rational people? It always happens the other way around.
- Heuristics are grossly underused in society.
- Problems in complex systems can't be solved by simplistic, 'scientistic' rules.
- Absolutes are much easier to stick to.
- Intelligence and rationaity are not the same thing.
- Meaning is not a scarce resource.
No doubt, if you were there, you'll have loads more.