Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Poetry: Toothbrush

So, a few weeks ago in class, somebody mentioned that Sylvia Plath had said that she had found it impossible to put a toothbrush in a poem. Now, while she didn't actually say that, what she did was interesting. To whit:

Now that I have attained, shall I say, a respectable age, and have had experiences, I feel much more interested in prose, in the novel. I feel that in a novel, for example, you can get in toothbrushes and all the paraphernalia that one finds in dally life, and I find this more difficult in poetry. Poetry, I feel, is a tyrannical discipline, you've got to go so far, so fast, in such a small space that you've just got to turn away all the peripherals. And I miss them! I'm a woman, I like my little Lares and Penates, I like trivia, and I find that in a novel I can get more of life, perhaps not such intense life, but certainly more of life, and so I've become very interested in novel writing as a result.


Naturally, I took this as a challenge. Results below.


Toothbrush

Can you get a toothbrush in a poem?
Sylvia, I’ll give it a damn good go.
Encouraging dental health isn’t hokum,
hence the need for a toothbrush in a poem.
As peripherals go, this one’s wholesome;
and regular use will mean smiles of snow.
Can you get a toothbrush in a poem?
Sylvia, I’ll give it a damn good go.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

Toothbrush moulders in festering cup,
A tightly-rolled tube its neighbour,
Dried-out paste in the basin lays,
Pale, rigid hand on the bathroom tiles,
A hand long-passed but dead for days.

10:00 am  
Blogger Rish said...

Dark; I wasn't expecting that to go there.

10:03 am  
Blogger bantal silikon-a said...

http://bantalsilikon01.blogspot.com/
jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal jual bantal

sangkar jual sangkar jual sangkar jual sangkar jual sangkar jual sangkar jual sangkar jual

anne
cd anne jelita brenda anne caca tasya ruth
bantal web bantal bantal silikon pembicara hellow
bumbu bumbu bumbu bumbu bumbu distro distro

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home